Today we're doing some cleaning and rearranging as we prepare for a couple new incoming boats. It's also my birthday so we're having a pizza party, and Destini made me birthday cupcakes! Have a safe Halloween weekend everyone.
Shane and I painstakingly reamed out all the seams of the bottom, by hand, in order to reapply the fresh marine adhesive. I sanded the bottom and the hull once we finished scraping the old varnish. He's also working on patching a few cracks in the hull.
Jack is working on steam bending the bottom planks and dry fitting them as they cool.
I've been building up varnish coats on the deck of the Penn Yan. While Gary and Jack have been working on fixing the motor and priming, painting and rewiring as needed.
We're building up coats on the Skiff deck. That mahogany is really starting to glow!
Nice day for another sea trial, A re-powered 1967 19ft Lyman with a newly pitched prop.
I'm still working on building up varnish coats on the deck. I've also primed the sheer plank and tested two different colors to see which one will work better.
Shane is removing the rotten planks on the hull. He and I also worked on cutting out seams on the bottom and prepping it to be resealed and patched.
Gary put a sealer coat on the deck of the skiff.
Shane removed the cracked fiberglass on the bottom which revealed multiple holes and rotten spots.
1947 Chris Craft Deluxe Runabout. Hidden damage, not time to start putting planks back on....
Shane is making progress on the deck of the Bay Craft. A few rough spots need some extra coats of varnish.
Jack continues to cautiously remove the planks and find rot on the hull.
After bedding the plywood bottom, Jack was able to bed the keel as well.
Chris Craft Riviera
Shane removed the splash rails and transom of the Riviera. The bow is pretty beat up and there is an unidentifiable gooey substance. We'll continue to heat and scrape the old varnish off.
After we flipped "Clays Boat", Shane got started removing the old cracked fiberglass on the transom.
I finished sanding the deck and prepping it for the sealer coat of varnish.
We took the Lyman out for another sea trial and it is . We even raced a Bald Eagle at one point!
Another sea trial for the Holiday in the books!
I replaced most of the Penn Yan's trailer parts. It got new bunks, all new brackets, new lights and electrical, a new winch and strap, repacked the wheel bearings, and a new swivel wheel and mount.
Lots of sanding and varnishing on the 1960 Penn Yan, including an NC State red steering wheel.
Shane started sanding and prepping the new Bay Craft for fresh deck varnish.
New boat alert! We brought this 1934 electri-craft in last week and Shane got started on it; removing interior and cleaning the bilge to try to find the leak.
Jack is making progress on the Deluxe Runabout.
After I removed the strut, rudder post, and prop, we flipped the boat to get a look at the bottom.
Jack dry fits the bottom marine plywood on before securing the keel. A lot of dry fitting and detailed work to make sure it all fits just right.
We took the day off Friday due to Hurricane Ian. We are all well although Jack is still waiting for his power to be restored. It could have been worse. Thank you to all who have expressed concern. For those willing to help, please contact the American Red Cross for more details. https://www.redcross.org/
Check back weekly for updates about our current projects and shop happenings!