Jack continues work on the frames and bottom. Every single frame is being replaced and he is patching the rotted sections.
Gary and I installed the outboard steering. I caulked some of the cracked deck lines to seal them; and I've got the interior wood varnished, reassembled, and ready to be reinstalled.
Chris Craft Holiday
We said farewell to the Holiday!
New boat alert! Shane is working on removing the deck hardware and interior in order to clean out the bilge and get a better look at everything.
New boat alert! We received this one last week. Another Budsin Lightning Bug that needed some transom work and a new name. I gave the bilge a good cleaning and then started scraping the transom. Afterwards, I switched to sanding. It helped remove some stain blotchiness but it wasn't good enough so we stripped it and sanded it some more and now Gary approves! We'll go ahead and start building varnish back up.
After finding rot pretty much along the entire bottom, Jack and Gary are laminating new frames to the structure.
Shane has been replacing the rotten transom frames on the Riviera; as well as prepping and dry fitting the new hull planks.
Jack is still making progress steam-bending and fitting the bottom planks. They are roughly fit then allowed to sit over the weekend to hold their shape. Then we will remove them and do the delicate shaping and fitting.
I put the final coat of varnish on the interior wood and I prepped the deck for the final coat as well!
We had to reorder a whole new steering cable because the old one was completely rusted through. Gary and I have been installing the new one.
Jack is patching some old screw holes and steam bending the rest of the bottom planks and fitting them in place. It's nice to have the steam box cooking when it is not 95 degrees out.....
Shane is cleaning up the seams so the new planks will fit snug. He sanded the ceiling boards and the hatch, then he'll start building up fresh coats of varnish.
Gary and Jack are working on the original 1960 Evinrude Lark outboard motor. I'm working on building up the last few varnish coats on the deck.
Gary dry fit new coamings and seat framing. It's starting to look like a proper boat
Shane finished the final coat on the Bay Craft!
Check back weekly for updates about our current projects and shop happenings!