Jack made replacements pieces for the inner chines as well as new structural blocks and began dry fitting them in place.
26' Sea Skiff
Jack installed the hatch spring, the barrel bolts to keep the back seat secure, and custom made a rear seat trim piece which still needs a few coats of varnish before installation. He also put the final coat of paint on the hull
Shane bedded the new outer keel in place on the bottom, and a fresh coat of white paint on the boat.
We bedded the planking to the stem with 5200. Meghan installed new frames forward of the bulk head, and we're using scarf joints for the rest of damaged sections of frames that didn't require totally replacing. She is now working on chiseling out the prop shaft hole in the keel and keelson.
Chris Craft Holiday
Nicolas is sanding the old varnish and stain off of the hull and shaving down the new stem.
Shane has put the first coat of primer on the sides. Once the outer keel is installed he'll be able to paint the bottom.
Lil Trax Lyman
Our sign guy Mike Gregson, came by to put the lettering on the Lyman, its getting closer to being ready. now some electrical touch ups.
Chris Craft Holiday
We've been sanding the sides prepping it for a finish. Jack is sanding the floaty pieces (sponsons),
prepping to paint them.
We got both cheek blocks installed, now we can fit the new frames in place. We installed a total of 12 new, freshly varnished frames in front of the bulkhead. Aft of the bulkhead we're going to use scarf joints at the bottom. We removed the rotted section of the stem and replaced it with laminate pieces and longer additional pieces to support the structure. We added additional bolts in the new areas.
Another successful degreasing! We're going to remove the rest of the hardware and flip this boat so it's all ready for Gary's class!
'26 Sea Skiff
Jack made some frames to support the floorboards on the big Sea Skiff. He put a new screen in the door and made a new top hatch. He'll finish installing the seats today.
I've been hanging in the Lyman all week removing the frames and rotted stem section. We milled some oak for new ones. Gary and I laminated in a new stem piece.
Gary acquired this boat to use at the WoodenBoat School as an educational model when he goes back up to teach in Maine. His class will be flipping the boat and restoring the bottom. But before he hits the road, we've removed the seats, gas tank, engine and floorboards and we'll de-grease the oily bottom.
Shane removed all the bad bungs and screws from the bottom, replaced with new screws and filled the holes. He's sanding the sides now and has milled new oak to replace the outer keel (skeg).
We've been working to replace the garboards, cheek blocks, keel, and keelson on this boat but as we progress in those areas we uncover more rot in other areas. All the ribs in front of the bulkhead need replacing. The two port side planks above the garboard had rot, as well as the stem. We will continue to replace rotted structural pieces. We milled some oak and are now soaking in preparation for bending.
26' Sea Skiff
Jack and Shane installed the windshield on the Sea Skiff. Jack installed the rear bench seat and made new supports for the middle of the seat. Jack also replaced the screen in the bulkhead door and reinstalled it. He also installed the newly restored steering wheel.
We finally got the starter in and installed it, along with a new v-belt for the alternator, and test ran the engine before having a successful sea trial. Woohoo!
Shane removed the screws on the bottom along the transom, and continues to scrape of the paint in preparation for sanding.
Check back weekly for updates about our current projects and shop happenings!