Happy New Year from Lowell Boats Inc!
Our crew is back in the shop this week excited & ready to work on some boats! We’ve got new projects in and some that are finishing up be sure to stay tuned on our blog for all the updates.
Your regularly scheduled blog update can be found below! Lowell Boats wants to wish all of our boats owners, enthusiasts, family & friends a very Merry Christmas & happy New Year! We will be closed starting Monday the 19th at 12PM and will reopen in 2023 on January 2nd at 8:30am. Don't worry though some of our crew and office staff will be popping in over the break to get some work done! For any questions or to get in contact with us send us an email at Lowellboatsoffice@gmal.com. Fair Seas!
Meghan taped off the deck lines and prepped them for painting. Not too long after the painted the deck lines on the Penn Yann are looking great!
After installing the strip planking and keel parts Jack worked on fairing clays boat and applied two coats of primer! Check out this awesome before & after:
Shane has been busy! He installed two new hull planks on the Riviera as well as sanded and flushed with the existing hull planks.
After varnishing the deck, hull and inside of the Cavalier Shane is now starting the electrical work & replacements.
Jack is rewiring the "Nancy" for it's new control panel!
After Meghan finished the Dutchman patch repair on the Budin she began building coats of varnish on the deck and hull!
The Grits has gotten it's final coat of varnish on the transom!
Meghan has been hard at work! the Electricraft has a sanded deck with a new coat of varnish!
The inner rails of the Skiff are on! It's also gotten a good varnish to build up its coats.
It was a team effort getting the bottom permanently installed on the U18! Also, Gary will be testing the engine soon.
New boat alert! We received another Electri-craft last week. I removed the interior and cleaned the bilge, then I sanded the deck and prepped it for the touch up coats we'll be putting on.
Jack is still working on fairing the bottom.
The progress of the dutchman patch so far. I chiseled out this diamond shape, cut a new piece from mahogany, used epoxy to glue it, sanded it flush, a touch of famowood filler, and most recently stained it and let it dry for 24 hours before I'll be able to start building coats of varnish.
1955 Continental, Ready for a sea trial, just in time for winter
Gary has also been working on fixing up the Cavalier engine. Looking good now, waiting for new electronic ignition, then we test.
Jack finished permanently installing the strip planking and the keel parts, next he'll work on fairing.
Shane removed the old cutless bearing from the prop strut and will buff and polish all the bronze. He's still fitting the new hull boards and adding frames to the transom.
I replaced the shaft coupler thingy, added a few more coats of varnish to the transom, and also working on a dutchman repair of the damaged port side.
Check out this before and after of the assembled seating. I cut an additional hole in the dash panel for the new bilge pump we'll be installing, currently there isn't one. Next I'll tape off the deck lines and prep them for painting.
I did the major sand on the transom after 6 coats of varnish, I'll build 6 more coats back up before our lettering guy comes by to apply the name "Grits"!
Shane is working on varnishing the deck, hull and inside of the Cavalier.
Jack is locating any rot in the deck and replacing those strips as well.
Check back weekly for updates about our current projects and shop happenings!