On the Continental, Nicolas worked on shaping the covering boards to meet the bullnose. He also continued carving the bullnose into shape. Shane found suitable mahogany and cut laminate skins for the splash rails. He also helped Nicolas cut deck parts from solid plank mahogany.
On the International 12, Nicolas dry fit the garboards and first boards so that they’re ready for permanent installation.
Shane sanded and painted the final coat of paint for the Pelican. He also sanded, prepped, and applied the final coat of varnish on the starboard side hull.
On the new ’55 Continental, Shane removed the windshield, deck parts, scoops, bilge board screws, thermal gauge, and all the ceiling boards. Jack wanted me to share what goes into preparing a boat for bottom work: He disconnected the engine electronics, fuel sensors, oil fittings, prop shaft, chock, throttle, transmission linkage, and exhaust. This allowed him to access and remove the engine. He then removed the steering linkage, steering wheel and column, the steering gear box system, the dash instruments, the entire wire harness, the dash panel, the fuel tank, the bed log, the strut, the rudder, the remaining deck hardware, the floor boards, the seats, the upholstery, and everything in the hull fitting. He collected everything and put it away on shelves. Then he was able to run a compression check and remove engine components in preparation for engine dyno test. Gary removed the cutlass bearing from the strut. He plans to replace the strut, but reuse the bearing, which is in really good shape.
For the Lyman and the Celebrity, Shane sanded, prepped, and applied a coat of varnish to the seats.
Shane sanded and varnished the deck and transom of the Budsin.
For the Piglet, Shane prepped, tapes, and varnished the ceiling, the combings, the cub rails, and the thwarts.
For the engine without a boat, Gary got in the new water pump and is working on getting it installed.
We are taking off the next two weeks and plan to re-open January 6th. We hope you have a great Holiday and enjoy time with family and friends! Here's a photo from our Holiday Party we had with everyone in the building. It was great to meet the faces we pass by every day.
That's me in the corner.
Nicolas’ week was filled with planking. On the Lyman, he completed dry-fit of two planks and they’re ready to be glued with 5200.
On the International-12, Nicolas dry-fit the second to last boards and they are ready to be permanently installed.
Shane came in on Saturday to apply the final coat to the ceiling boards of the Continental. This ensured no dust from other people working would get into the varnish. Jack spent some time this week continuing to sand the sides.
Shane applied the third and final coat of paint to the hull of the Piglet and painted a fresh waterline. He also cleaned, brushed, and buffed the metal parts including the prop shaft and tiller arm.
For the Pelican, Shane wired the interior lighting, sanded the primer on the deck, and varnished the throttle housing. He installed the electronics panel for courtesy lighting and navigation lighting and wired the negative return. He applied another coat of paint to the deck, likely the second to last. He then sanded and painted the port side hull.
Jack finished painting the previously green Budsin blue and did a beautiful job painting a fresh waterline and custom arrows on the sides.
Shane, Gary, and I installed the centerboard for the Celebrity and got it on the trailer. It’s ready for rigging!
We got in a new boat from our waiting list, a 1955 18’ Continental requiring a full restoration. We’ve taken some before photos to begin the process. Jack started removing the gear, cleaning and prepping, removing the engine, and cataloging parts and pieces so we can get it ready to roll.
I have been out for most of the week with a cold, so I have to rely on my coworkers’ notes for their activities this week. Hopefully no one went sailing without me…
Nicolas prepped and installed three of the side planks for the Lyman. He applied epoxy to the scarfs and 5200 to the seams. Only four side planks left to go!
Nicolas installed the remaining hardware onto the Celebrity, as well as the compartment door. Gregson Signs came by this week to apply the lettering.
Nicolas did some final shaping on the garboard of the International 12.
Jack sanded the sides of the Continental, which is slow, strenuous work. Shane sanded, prepped, and applied the 8th, 9th, and 10th coats to the ceiling boards. He then completed the final major sanding to prepare for the final coat of varnish for the boards. For the final coat, we usually come in on the weekend so there is no hint of dust in the air. So, he’ll be here tomorrow working on that!
Jack removed the hardware and rub rails from the Budsin. He then washed it and sanded the deck, sides, and ceiling boards in preparation for paint and varnish. The main paint is now completed and he’s got a few more coats of varnish to go. He also made a repair to the stem.
Shane sanded and applied the second and third coats of varnish to the trim of the Pelican using the roll and tip method. He also sanded the deck, filled more cracks that appeared since painting, and applied primer where necessary. He then assembled the circuit board and fabricated the throttle port housing.
Shane prepped and applied the 2nd coat to the hull of the Piglet, which he then sanded and prepped for a 3rd. He applied primer and topcoat to the waterline, taped/prepped for another hull coat, and applied the 3rd coat of paint onto the hull.
In an attempt of festivity, we have made a Christmas tree from found garland and a shop ladder. Enjoy!
Check back weekly for updates about our current projects and shop happenings!