We’ve finally managed to reduce the number of boats in the shop, so we can get each one finished and returned to the owner more quickly. When I started here a year ago, we had two guys in the shop and about twenty-four boats. We’ve since let our waiting list grow a bit in order to finish the projects in our shop and tackle the old projects we hadn’t been able to work on in a few years. Currently, we have about 12 boats in the shop and 3.5 people working on them. So, while we have plenty to do, we actually have the manpower to make more significant progress and start filtering in some new projects as we finish what we have. This may be very boring information, but it means you’ll start seeing more progress each week and, if you’re on our wait list, we are doing our best to get you in!
On the Continental, Nicolas (pronounced NEE-koh-la for those who have wondered) took inventory of all chrome and bronze hardware to prepare it for re-chroming or polishing, as needed. He brushed and buffed the bronze to prepare it for re-installation. He cleaned, sorted, and packaged the chrome to send off to our plating specialists. Nicolas made all the grooves on the entire deck for the aesthetic caulk lines. He then sanded off the under deck areas to clean up the old caulk and even everything out. Shane finished hand sanding the ceiling boards with 120 grit sandpaper (the final grit before varnishing) and used a flashlight to check each board for any remaining swirls from the sander. He then bunged the screw holes that are bisected by splits and sanded the bungs flush with the boards. He filled the cracks, nicks, and splits with wood filler and finished sanding the boards. He then was ready to stain the boards, allow it to set, and applied the first coat of varnish.
On the Celebrity, Nicolas has been applying more varnish to the mast and trims and I’ve started detail-sanding the deck and rails for the final coat of varnish.
On the 26’ Sea Skiff, Shane routed the toe rails and shaped the splash rails, which he then started drilling and fastening to the hull. Jack has been working on the windshield frame all week, making final adjustments, dry-fitting, cleaning, and sanding. It’s a lot of making adjustments on the work bench, assembling it, fitting it onto the deck, marking areas, and then removing and disassembling to make further adjustments on the workbench again.
On the 18’ Sea Skiff, Jack organized the interior to prepare it for further installations while I sanded, stained, and made repairs to the old engine box.
Gary and I finished sanding the mast of the Windjammer using the custom sanding block made to fit perfectly around the curves. The mast is now shaped and Gary has begun the sealing process. Sarah came by for moral support.
That’s it for this week; look forward to next week's post, in which the crew works on boats.
Check back weekly for updates about our current projects and shop happenings!